Participation and contribution are important to self-esteem. Everybody spends most of their time participating in activities. No-one likes having nothing to do for very long. We look after ourselves, we do chores, we do hobbies, we help others, we have a good time, we see our friends, we enjoy a well-earned rest with a favourite pastime. Some activities are chores that have to be done. Others we choose. But we rarely do absolutely nothing.
Such participation, or engagement, in activity is a big part of what we think of as our quality of life. It:
- Helps keep us fit and mentally alert
- Allows us to express who we are
- Establishes common interests with other people
- Provides the basis for friendships and for living together
- Develops our talents and allows us to show what we can do … and
is the means by which we look after ourselves and our daily needs.